Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Ugliest Car, Chrysler Edition: 1979 Dodge Magnum

Not the ugliest car. But it shares the name.
Image from Wikipedia.
I got briefly stuck in a Wiki-hole this evening, first looking up the generations of Mitsubishi Eclipse (the sporty version of my Galant), segueing into the related Chrysler/Dodge products, and winded up landing on the Plymouth Barracuda, Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger. A couple of links later, I landed on the Dodge Magnum page.

The Magnum was a car I pondered when I traded in my old Jeep. By this time, circa 2010, that Dodge model had been discontinued, but I could have gotten a 2008 at a decent price. It was the wagon version of the Dodge Charger, and looked kinda nifty. I ultimately passed, because the Magnum is likely too big for my garage (and if you can find the double entendre there, good for you!). Anyway, what I didn't know is that Chrysler had not just named that wagon "Magnum" out of the clear blue sky. They had resurrected the name of a seventies model. Why on earth they'd ever want to conjure the previous version remains a mystery.

The 1979 Dodge Magnum looks like a joke. If someone showed me the picture, I would have thought it was designed by George Barris like the "Wagon Queen Family Truckster" from National Lampoon's Vacation! It is a hideous beast. A collision of lines and ideas that were never adequately resolved into a presentable finished product. So without further ado, the ugliest Chrysler product ever. It was only sold in Brazil for a reason.

Image from Wikipedia.

1 comment:

  1. Hello there! Thank you for sharing your thoughts about Chrysler in your area. I'm glad to stop by your site and know more about Chrysler. Keep it up! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well.
    Chrysler plans for Lancia to codevelop products, with some vehicles being shared. Olivier Francois, Lancia's CEO, was appointed to the Chrysler division in October 2009. Francois plans to reestablish the Chrysler brand as an upscale brand.
    Ongoing parts and service specials to help you save money.

    chrysler north shore

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...