Thursday, April 10, 2008

Randi Rhodes is Dead; Long Live Randi Rhodes!


Photo from The Moderate Voice

No, she's not literally dead. The Randi Rhodes Show as it exists on Air America Radio is dead. But word is, her show will continue on the Nova M network, and will be reunited with her old friend and producer, John Manzo.

This is a strange story, and one that is hard to figure out where I stand, and who I stand with. I've been a fan of Air America Radio since the first time I tuned in, sometime in mid-2004. There has been a lot of behind-the-scenes turmoil, but I never cared much about that. It's the on-air talent that kept me a fan.

Over the years, various owners/management have made some very bad decisions with that talent of course. They lost Lizz Winstead, Marc Maron, Mike Malloy, The Young Turks, and Janeane Garofalo--great talent--all inelegantly. They brought in dubious talent like Lionel and Jerry Springer. The one great decision they've made is to hang on to Rachel Maddow and Sam Seder, though they shuttled them all over the schedule, busting each down in show-length or frequency at one time or another.

Rachel, of course, could easily be lost due to her rising star of late. Sam has been a weekend and fill-in host as well as web designer, but based on what happened today I can see them losing him as well. I happened to catch Sam's reaction (on his Sammy-Cam) to the news that The Huffington Post had been informed--before he had--that Richard Belzer will be replacing Randi next week in her slot. His reaction was violent (between commercial breaks). And based on his veiled language, may not be around on AAR much longer either.

As for Randi Rhodes, I will seek her show out, provided it doesn't come at a premium. Love ya, Randi, but I prefer my radio free. If it's streamed, and at the same time, I most likely will be right there with you. It will only require a few extra (annoying, but bearable) mouse clicks during my day. If Air America makes a sane decision, and gives Sam a show again, I may have to alternate. Still, I think AAR has been really bone-headed here, and my have written one of the closing chapters of their short history.

[Excerpt]

Rhodes Joins Nova M Radio

Randi Rhodes has signed with Nova M Radio Network. She'll be on the air from 3-6 p.m. ET beginning Monday. "I just can't stop smiling," said Nova M CEO John Manzo. "Randi is simply the biggest and the best. Randi Rhodes and [night show host] Mike Malloy under one roof -- talk about talent!"

Read more at: Radio Ink

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...