Saturday, April 5, 2008

Why I'm Worried about Air America Radio



Seeking out and finding Air America Radio on my computer at work saved my sanity. I found the station sometime shortly before the 2004 election, looking for Al Franken. What I found was Randi Rhodes, and though her Noo Yawk accent took me by surprise, I was soon a fervent fan. I began to tune in every day, starting with the final hour of Unfiltered (Rachel Maddow's first show), followed by The Al Franken Show, The Randi Rhodes Show (then four hours long), and the first hour of The Majority Report (Sam Seder and Janeane Garofolo).

Over the years, there have been many ups and downs, sudden disappearances of shows and personalities, scares that the network was going off the air. But so far, it hasn't missed a day. Franken was ably replaced by The Thom Hartmann Show after he left to run for the Senate. Maddow was given a morning show to herself, and then an evening show taking what was Rhodes' fourth hour, and part of the vacated Majority Report show. The less said about The Jerry Springer Show, the better.

Some time ago, Air America replaced The Sam Seder Show (who had been holding down mornings after Springer was cancelled) with something called The Lionel Show. It's almost unlistenable. No matter, because in the first part of my day, I've switched to The Stephanie Miller Show--which is not part of the AAR lineup, though many think it is.

I know that sounds like a lot of talk radio, and it is. But listening to a liberal lineup is much different than a steady diet of Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, et. al. With the possible exception of Randi Rhodes, liberal talk radio is a fairly tame affair, with education and news taking the spotlight over demonization of the competition. There is also a much stronger drive to be accurate and truthful--in my opinion--where Limbaugh and Hannity deliberately try to distort the truth.

But my happy little work pastime is threatened. Thom Hartmann and Lionel are getting bumped off of the New York flagship station. There is no longer any early morning program. Rachel Maddow is lighting up MSNBC, and after her performance as guest host of Countdown with Keith Olbermann could conceivable leave for greener pastures. And Randi Rhodes may have been suspended forever or could quit for being suspended.

I guess I'll still have Stephanie Miller and her Mooks, but what else will I get to listen to? Al Sharpton? No thanks. Ed Schultz??? He sounds too much like Rush Limbaugh. I may have to get interested in music again. . .

[Excerpt]

Talk Radio Station Would Rather Air Informercials Than Air America

Left-wing NY talk station AM 1600 WWRL has reordered their schedule, knocking a number of Air America programs off the air... to make way, in one case, for infomercials.

Morning show host
Lionel was taken off the air entirely to make room for health-related infomercials. Air America's Clout is being moved to the overnight shift and Thom Hartmann has been dropped. Meanwhile, the Rev. Al Sharpton's syndicated show will now be aired on tape delay at 8pm. . .

Read more at: Media Bistro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...