Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Election Night Ups and Downs

I think all of us Democrats expected something of a bad night, and we got it on some fronts. The House of Representatives went to Republicans for the first time in four years, and that's something of a bitter pill. But you know what? It's kind of okay. The Tea Party showed some strength, and they got a flagship with Rand Paul in Kentucky. But some of the other crazy people were defeated.

For me--though I've been a less than enthusiastic Harry Reid supporter--Sharron Angle's loss in Nevada is one of the sweeter victories by the left.  It was a nail biter, and I won't pretend otherwise. But I'm thrilled that I won't have to hear "I'm Sharron Angle, and I approve this mess-eege," for a while.  I wouldn't be surprised to se her "primary" John Ensign in two years, though.

So, the Republicans/tea baggers will now have to put up or shut up in the House. And then, their bills will go to die in the Senate, as most House legislation has done in the last two years. And Christine O'Donnell gets to start a nice life as a right-wing pundit--or who knows--FOX "News" host?

Other high points: Jerry Brown beat Meg Whitman. Barbara Boxer beat Carly Fiorina. That wackadoo Paladino lost in New York, and of course O'Donnell lost what would have been a safe Republican seat.  All in all? Not such a bad night after all.

2 comments:

  1. Harry is going to be like a neutered when he gets back to Congress. I'm just happy that we won't be hearing ANY political commercials for a few months, at least.
    I must say, it was classy for Rory Reid to say to the media and Dem's to lay off of Sandoval's family whne he is the governor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan, I just re-read this, and it's safe to say, Sandoval has seen no smearing. And though there were good things to come out of 2010 election night for Democrats, most of it sucked hard. We've seen a deeply conservative House and state governorships. But the overreach--particularly in the states--has been stunning, and may lead to recalls and a rebuke in 2012. I can only hope.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...