Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Religious People Are Happier. . .But Not Because of God

Thanks to my friend Stupid Monkey Planet for continuing to help me get over my vacation brains by sending on this link. As I've reported many times before, I'm so non-religious that the thought of "God" as an real entity almost never even crosses my mind. I put it in the category of Superman, Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy on the scale of plausibility. Nevertheless, I do sometimes envy the fellowship and activity--in short, something to do when you can't figure out what to do--that actively religious people have.

While some believers will try to shoe-horn atheists, agnostics and other non-believers into the religion category, it just isn't true. For instance, most non-believers don't belong to a group of like-minded non-believers, with a house of non-worship, anti-hymns and un-church camp. So, while I know what it's like to belong to a church, which had these sorts of activities (I've even participated), there is nothing like that for an atheistic agnostic like me.  I wouldn't say that makes me unhappy. But I can see how those sorts of things can help others find happiness.

[Excerpt]

Why Religion Makes People Happier (Hint: Not God)

Religious people are more satisfied with their lives than nonbelievers, but a new study finds it's not a relationship with God that makes the devout happy. Instead, the satisfaction boost may come from closer ties to earthly neighbors. . .

Read more at: Live Science

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...