Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Gilda Radner & Madeline Kahn: Baba Wawa

In my previous post, I mentioned Saturday Night Live's Gilda Radner, and her character, Rhonda Weiss. It got me interested in what SNL clips were available of Gilda Radner. And yes, I know I featured one a few days ago. But I love Gilda, and this clip features another of my all-time-favorites, Madeline Kahn.

Madeline had been featured as the "Teutonic Titwillow," Lily Von Schtupp in Blazing Saddles, and one of Gilda's most-loved characters was her take on Barbara Walters, Baba Wawa. Both have exaggerated speech impediments--though Madeline performed here as "Marlena Deutschland." Just terrific.

And if you're too young to remember, this was at a time when Barbara Walters had secured an anchor position on the news with Harry Reasoner--a big deal at the time.

Not For Ladies Only (Not For Wadies Onwy)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...