Monday, June 4, 2012

Five Years of Greenlee Gazette: My First Post



As I said a couple of posts ago, Greenlee Gazette has reached its fifth birthday, as of June 2, this past Saturday. Here is a look back to my very first post. Comments follow at the end.

ORIGINAL POST, June 2, 2007


AWAKE IN LAS VEGAS

This blog will never be found by anybody. Well, at least I don't think it will.

It would be nice someday, to see it bloom into something interesting, but for now it is a work (barely) in progress. A place for me to write down my frustrations, my growing rage at the state of our society.

As I type this, my first blog post on my first blog, I'm watching a FOX NEWS ALERT! on my little office TV. The alert has to do with a "foiled terror attempt on JFK Airport." Now, I was able to glean--even on FOX--that there was barely anything to this plot. In the first 30 seconds, I heard "only in planning stages," "not feasible," and that it didn't have anything to do with actual airplanes or the passenger areas of the airport.

But, right now, at least 45 minutes into my viewing, they are still on this singular "story," showing endless b-roll footage (in triplicate split screen!) of passengers, planes, air marshals with guns, live shots of the airport. . . To a casual (lazy) viewer, not listening intently, you'd think something BIG was going down RIGHT NOW at the airport.

It is only the most current example of the media's handling of damned near everything that inspired my first post. Without a place to put my frustration, I'm going to end up like that character, "Exidor" on "Mork & Mindy." I may be babbling conspiracy theories to my invisible entourage, but that doesn't seem as crazy if it's done here in cyberspace!

As I said before, I don't expect this to ever be read by anybody, unless I specifically TELL them to read something I wrote. I don't even know if I'll remember to come back here with any frequency. But, if somehow you did find me. . .if you found something I wrote interesting. . .or if you even want to argue with me. . .have at it! Drop me a line.

UPDATE: OK, I'm having more fun than I thought I would playing with the layout, and learning how Blogger works. Maybe I'll keep it up!

Meanwhile, I've kept Fox "News" on in the background most of the time I've been online. Disgraceful. There is apparently NO other news going on today besides a foiled "terror plot." A plot that seems no more threatening than any of the other "foiled plots" we've heard about over the last couple of years. My take: The Homeland Security guys are embarrassed by the handling of the TUBERCULOSIS GUY, and pulled out the best thing they had to make themselves look a little better. Better luck next time, guys.

And that's what was going on the day I started the blog. Obviously, I was learning how to embed hyperlinks. I hadn't yet learned how to put up pictures, or didn't think of it. I'm sure I'm not the first person enraged by FOX "News" into action (and I hadn't started putting "News" in quotes when referring to FOX!). And I won't be the last. They're still going strong. But so am I!

A few years ago, I instituted a feature called "One Year Ago Today. . ." I stopped doing it. But now that I have five years of blog posts stockpiled? And now that we're in another presidential election year, the second with Mitt Romney? I think I'm going to have to re-institute it, this time with a variation: 5 years ago, 4 years ago, 3 years ago, 2 years ago! They may be reruns, but they'll be new to you (and a Blast from the Past for me)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...