Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Science is Scary: Supercollider, Black Holes, Doomsday


Image from LiveScience

Everybody sing, "It's the end of the world as we know it!"

I love science stuff, but I've never quite been able to wrap my head around the whole supercollider idea. I'm sure it's all very cool, but I've never really figured out what they're trying to prove. As it happens, I may never find out, because there is the outside chance that all life on earth will cease tomorrow. Or something. . .

[Excerpt]

Will the Large Hadron Collider Destroy Earth?

The potential for the world's largest atom smasher to destroy Earth is one question weighing on the minds of some lay people as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) prepares to go online Wednesday.

Don't worry, say the experts, who are more concerned with whether the 17 mile-long particle accelerator underground at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research near Geneva, Switzerland, will work as planned and, perhaps, reveal the existence of the so-called God particle. . .


Link provided by Stupid Monkey Planet

1 comment:

  1. As my Tai Chi teacher told me (who is a physicist), "No need to worry, cosmic rays bombarding Earth at all times have much more energy than the possibility of microscopic black holes". I took comfort in that. Also, they're trying to , first off, study the big bang and the beginning of the known Universe in an isolated and controlled environment. Very exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to say to us? Post it here!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...